When it comes to putting artwork on t-shirts I can honestly say I’ve just about seen it all. The funny, the political, the provocative, and the straight up weird. I’ve seen one design on a shirt launch a brand into another cosmos. There have been a small group of companies who I can honestly say I have supported since I first saw their work, probably counted on one hand. When my friend introduced me to Enstrumental, I was hooked from the jump. Their work is very thought out and fresh.
When I first saw the artwork for the “Run Jesse, Run” shirt, I pretty much put my money aside for such a day. I urge you to pick it up and check out some of their other work. This is pretty much a dream I have on the regular.
PURCHASE: ENSTRUMENTAL – RUN JESSE, RUN SHIRT NOW!
In honor of #4TheRecord in Jackson, MS this weekend. Here is one of the funnier and entertaining episodes of Crate Diggers featuring Detroit Hip-Hop Icon House Shoes…..
As March 11th gets closer and closer, the Scribbling Idiots keep blessing us with new tracks from Invitation Only. This one teams up Theory Hazit and JustMe with KJ52. They all hold their own over Theory’s production with EF Cuttin slicing up the hook. Theory Hazit spits one of the dopest verses I’ve heard in a minute. He’s easily one of my favorite emcees doing it right now, if you don’t know, do some research and find out. Illect Recordings even did a mixtape, on an actual tape, by DJ Aslan.
“5%ers call me 85 / Ocho Cinco with a lazy eye / I bring the pain so hard / Man you can’t wait to die” – (c) Theory Hazit
PRE-ORDER: SCRIBBLING IDIOTS – INVITATION ONLY (iTUNES)
PRE-ORDER: SCRIBBLING IDIOTS – INVITATION ONLY (SPHEREOFHIPHOP.COM)
Cop that cassette tape mixed by DJ Aslan…….
Brian Blade and the Fellowship Band will be releasing Landmarks, on April 29th, or April 15th if you rock with vinyl. This will be another in a string of excellent releases from Blue Note Records. This is Blade’s first release on Blue Note since 2000’s Perceptual. Coming off the incredible release Mama Rosa via Verve, the Shreveport, LA native has teamed back up with Chris Thomas, Jon Cowherd, Myron Walden, Marvin Sewell and Melvin Butler known collectively as The Fellowship Band. If “He Died Fighting” is any indication of the new album, I certainly can’t wait for April to get here.
Blue Note’s and Takuya Kuroda drop the video for the title track from Kuroda’s debut Blue Note album Rising Son. Love the track and the album, it’s the perfect blend of Funk + Jazz + Hip Hop. You can’t help but close your eyes and nod your head. Although, maybe you should keep your eyes open and watch the video. Then head over to iTunes or whatever your favorite place to buy new music is and purchase the album. Then you can close your eyes all you want while you listen. For your reference I’ve included the link to purchase said album from iTunes below. Enjoy
PURCHASE: TAKUYA KURODA – RISING SON
Snoop Dogg x Madlib? Yes, please. This is west coast all day. Can we get an album of this?
Pete Rock is more than qualified to put together a tribute mix to everyone’s favorite vibraphone player. He is one of the most sampled musicians in the history of hip-hop music. In fact without Roy Ayers, the hip-hop music industry would sound much different indeed. Pete throws together a brilliant array of Roy’s fingerprints on the music industry. You can also purchase a Pete Rock vs Roy Ayers t-shirt by clicking here
Chances are that if you are a hip-hop head then you have been privy to the music made by Kat 010. Known simply as the Keyboard Sorceress of the hip-hop collective Crown City Rockers/Mission, she has worked with a plethora of other hip-hop artists in her career. Insert Meowmix Retrospect (Vol 1), it’s a short representation of her musical journey to the present point. It opens with my favorite Mission track “It’s The…” and works through tracks from Headnodic, Lyrics Born, Zion I, People Under The Stairs, and others.
1. “It’s The…” – Mission: (Rhodes)
2. “Little Man – Headnodic & Kat O1O Remix” – Little Dragon (Rhodes/Crumar/Moog)
3. “Sonic Elders” – People Under The Stairs (Rhodes)
4. “Movin’ On Up” (feat. Latyrx & Kat O1O (Vocals/Prophet 5)
5. “Try Me (feat. Goapele & Capitol A) J. Boogie Remix” – J. Boogie’s Dubtronic Science (Rhodes)
6. “Home (feat. Mia Doi Todd)” – Mission: & People Under The Stairs (Rhodes)
7. “Hustle & Change” – La Femme Deadly Venoms (Production/Rhodes)
8. “Top Shelf (feat. Baby Jaymes)” – Lyrics Born (Production/Rhodes/Synths)
9. “The Bay (feat. C. Holiday)” – Zion I (Piano)
10. “Street Life” – LFDV (Production/Rhodes/Synths/Vocals)
11. “Feels Right” – Joyo Velarde (Rhodes)
12. “Go On (feat. Solas B. Lalgee) – Crown City Rockers (Rhodes/Piano/Moog)
13. “The Mondays” – Headnodic (Rhodes/Moog/Crumar/Melodica)
14. “Don’t Think About It – PlatO1O One Way Remix” – DJ Platurn & Kat O1O (Piano/Synths)
15. “So So Much” – Gift of Gab (Wurlitzer/Clavinet/Melodica)
16. “Zaya” – Headnodic (Polysix/Moog)
17. “Zaya – Kat O1O Remix” – Headnodic (Production/Rhodes/Synths)
18. “Oh Sheila Remix” – PlatO1O (Synths/Rhodes)
19. “Hiccup” – Variable Unit (Rhodes)
20. “Proteus” – Crown City Rockers (Production/Rhodes/Synths)
Luca Brazi takes us on a trip through the clouds on a metaphysical journey into human existence. “The Meditation” is an excellent 2 minute trip. Open up your mind and soak up the knowledge of self Luca offers up in rhythmic form.
Video for Sivion’s “The Best” taken from his album Group Therapy, available now via Illect Recordings. The track produced by the incredibly talented and sought after Symbolyc One, who makes a cameo in the video) and features iffa-iffa’s from DJ Manwell. The three come together to let us know, that they give their best to us and encourage everyone to do the same. I encourage you to click on the link below and support an excellent project.
PURCHASE: SIVION – GROUP THERAPY